Dog Sick and Not Eating after Intestinal Cancer Treatment

by Anonymous Reader

Reader Question:

My 10 year old female golden retriever has been sick and over the last week is not eating after being treated for intestinal cancer. We took her to vet who did x-rays, blood tests and stool tests. At first, the vet said they found nothing, but would consult with radiation expert.

My golden was given shots of antibiotics, and sent home with prescriptions and antibiotic food to help with nausea/diarrhea. She still won't eat and has severe diarrhea. Vet called last night to say the x-ray does show intestinal cancer. It was suggested to go to distant hospital to get sonogram to look at spleen.

I love my girl, and I do not want her to suffer. Since she will not eat, and she barely moves, it seems fruitless to get a sonogram, plus there is no improvement from the shots of antibiotics she was given. Do you have an opinion?

Suggestions from our Vet


I am sorry to hear of your Golden’s condition. It sounds as if your veterinarian is recommending the sonogram to determine whether or not the cancer has spread to the spleen and possible to other internal organs. If the cancer has already visibly metastasized (spread), her prognosis would not be very good. On the other hand, if the cancer appears to be limited to a relatively small section of the intestinal tract, it is possible that surgery could be curative, or at least provide your dog with a significant period of good quality of life.

Ultrasounds (sonograms) are not painful or very stressful for dogs and you could get a lot of information that would help you make decisions about what is best for you and your dog.

Best of luck,

Jennifer Coates, DVM

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Cancer.

Ask a Vet Online

12 veterinarians
are online now.
Ask a question,
get an answer ASAP.