Buying US Dog Pet Insurance
"Choosing a US Dog Pet Insurance Policy can be confusing. Fundamentally there are three types of policies; accident coverage, accident plus illness and accident, illness and wellness/prevention coverage. Beyond the basic policy type, plans differ by how much you will have to pay for each incident (called the deductible), and unique features of the plan such as coverage for behavior training. The best approach is to request a quote (the 3 companies below will provide a quote online), keeping the monthly payment the same between policies. Then compare the policies from the 3 companies and see which one best meets the anticipated needs of your dog. As a rule of thumb, determine what you couldn't afford if your dog becomes ill or injured. Then buy insurance to protect your pet against that problem. "
US dog pet insurance is designed to help dog owners pay for unexpected medical expenses. Like insurance for humans, different policies offer different levels of reimbursement. It's a way to make sure that you can pay for unexpected medical problems.
A quick example demonstrates why this is so important. Suppose you have an 8-month-old puppy who swallows a piece of his chew toy. Your pup is then taken to the veterinary hospital to have the toy removed from her stomach. Her bill for testing, X-rays,surgery, and follow up care could add up to $1500.00. With a us dog pet insurance policy, 80% of the cost would be covered (assuming your policy calls for that level of reimbursement). You would be reimbursed for $1,425 of the cost less any deductibles.
Features of Pet Insurance for Your Dog
There are fundamentally 3 types of dog insurance:
- Accident Only Dog Insurance:
Covers up to 80% of costs associated with an accident such as
hospitalization and surgery.
- Accident and Illness Dog
Insurance: This type of insurance covers problems due to
accidents, plus illnesses that are inherited and problems that are the
result of an illness.
- Accident, Illness and Preventive
Care Dog Insurance: This type of dog insurance policy covers all
of the above, plus typical preventive care such as vaccinations,
spaying/neutering, heartworm and flea control and annual checkups.
The notable exception is Pets
Best Insurance which covers Exam fees
(any veterinarian), accidents and illness and behavioral consults in
Each US dog pet insurance company offers different sets of features
deductibles (portion you have to pay). The following list describes the
features contained in the typical pet insurance policy.
- Percentage of the bill covered: Typical policies in the United States provide a reimbursement rate of 80% of the bill.
- No Pre-Authorization: Some policies require that you get
approvals before receiving care while others to not.
- Discounts for Multiple Pets: Many policies feature a
for each additional pet that is signed up with the company.
- Deductibles: The amount you have to pay before the policy starts to pay. They tend to range from $75 to $300.
- Coverage Limits: The maximum amount of reimbursement for
lifetime of the policy Most polices set a range of between $25,000 -
- Per Incident Limit: The amount of reimbursement that is paid per incident is $2,500 - $14,000.
- Veterinarian and Hospital Selection: The best plans allow
to choose any veterinarian or emergency care center.
- Monthly Cost: Plans start as low as $20 per month after deductibles are met.
- Wellness Coverage: Some companies offer plans that provide coverage for wellness visits such as checkups and vaccines and heartworm tests.
- Acupuncture and Chiropractic Visits: Many companies will offer some level of reimbursement for these types of services.
- Medications: Practically all plans will cover FDA approved medications.
- Behavior: Some plans will
provide reimbursement for consultations and behavioral issues and for
US Dog Pet Insurance Companies Offering
It pays to shop around and get quotes from more than one US Dog Pet
Insurance Company. The following companies will provide a free
online quote, making
comparison shopping easy:
Best: Pets Best was the first company to offer insurance for
dogs. It was
founded by a veterinarian who was concerned that many owners couldn't
afford the care their dog needed. The company is highly reputable
and worth researching. As mentioned above, all policies offered by the
company offer some level of wellness/preventative, accident and illness
24Hour Pet Watch offers a range of programs to meet the needs of dog
owners on a budget. Policies include features such as unlimited
lifetime accident coverage. The company offers coverage for hereditary
conditions and premiums do not increase as your dog gets older. They
are also a top ranking underwriter and broker.
Care: Purina Care pet insurance is offered by a subsidiary of
Purina. Plans offer comprehensive coverage for most illnesses and
injuries, with a choice of annual deductible levels. There are no
lifetime claim limits or per incident limits on accidents and
illnesses. You have the freedom to choose any veterinarian licensed in
the state where you live.
Have A Dog Insurance Suggestion for Our Readers?
Do you have Dog Pet Insurance Advice to Share? Please include the company name and how you have used the insurance policy to protect your dog.