Home


Sudden Death of Healthy Chihuahua

by Meghan
(Cape Coral FL USA)

Last week my family's healthy 5 yr old male neutered Chihuahua was found lying underneath the garbage can in our back yard. He was lethargic-weak and had pale gums. His mouth and paws were covered in a rope like drool. His respiratory rate was low and was bradycardic but there were no visible signs of trauma. We took him to an emergency room and within 25 minutes he passed.


His temperature was 94.2 when taken at the hospital. I could tell by looking at him he was in shock. Seems like nothing could be done. It was 9:30 in the evening and he was let out with the other small dogs as part of the regular routine. He was completely healthy.

Our Veterinarian recently detected a very slight murmur over the past winter. Now we are in shock..we aren't sure if it was a bite or poison or a what could have caused this sudden death?
It could be a specific defect....impossible to know for sure. But any ideas would be helpful.

Thank you.


Thoughts From Our Vet on Sudden Dog Death in Healthy Animal


Hello Meghan,

I’m so sorry to hear of the loss of your dog, particularly under such traumatic conditions. I’m afraid that you are right, the only way to know with certainty what happened to him is to have had a necropsy (the animal equivalent of an autopsy) performed. I suspect that opportunity is no longer available.

There are not too many things that cause sudden death in what appears to be an otherwise healthy dog. Poisoning is one, but certainly not the only, possibility. Others include heart disease (especially those types that cause abnormal heart rhythms), blood clots, brain lesions (e.g., tumors), adrenal failure, internal bleeding (e.g., from a ruptured mass or aneurism), electrocution, and trauma.

My thoughts are with you during this difficult time.



Regards,

Jennifer Coates, DVM

Comments for Sudden Death of Healthy Chihuahua

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Aug 14, 2017
Rating
starstarstarstarstar
Sudden Death also of Healthy Chihuahua NEW
by: Stacie Monroe

My 6 year old Chihuahua also passed away suddenly 4 weeks ago. One day consuming alot of water with a little bit of a crusty nose. He was just put on temparin for allergies. He had been on that for about 4 weeks. I thought it was just his allergies. He couldn't control his urination because of all the water he was drinking. He ate fine that night. The next day he couldn't keep any water down or food he would was vomiting it up. I rushed him to the vet and he started having breathing issues and convulsions. He has never had those before. He passed away within an hour at the vet on July 14 2017. I'm so heartbroken. The vet said his liver had enlarged causing it him to have trouble breathing. I still do not know what caused this as I go outside with him every time he went outside. Now my puggle is getting what looks like burn marks with his hair falling out on spots that he rolls around on the grass. Nothing has ever been put on the grass in the enclosed area. The vet said it is probably allergies. I know he misses his buddy. But I can't help wondering if someone is doing something outside where they go to cause all of this. We have never had any problems like this before and no new weeds that I can see other than the usual ones. I'm at such a loss. I miss my little baby terribly. He was my little boy that loved his little shirts and sweaters. My puggle misses him too. We are both grieving. My heart goes out to you as well.

Mar 22, 2017
Rating
starstarstarstarstar
sudden death NEW
by: Anonymous

So very sorry for your loss. our darling wee chihuahua girl died in similar circumstances too. one moment she was fine then i returned to the living room to find her collapsed virtually comatose and breathing noisily. She died several hours later and the vets couldn't explain why- her glucose was high and some heart enlargement but they still weren't sure. it was one of the most terrible terrible losses..iloved her like a wee child.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Poison.


Ask a Vet for Free 24/7