Glucosamine Condroitin For Dogs
"Glucosamine Condroitin for Dogs is a natural substance called a neutraceutical that is proven to be effective in helping dogs with arthritis joint pain. Glucosamine is more effective than condroitin."
Glucosamine is in most dog multi-ingredient nutraceuticals and may be the most effective. It has been shown to rehabilitate cartilage and reduce the pain from arthritis. While some Veterinarian's question the clinical support for this substance, most Vets report that 50% of their canine patients respond to the treatment. Since glucosamine and chondroiton are considered safe, at minimum, it is worth trying this option.
Glucosamine is available in tablet and liquid form. While liquids tend to work faster since they don't have to be dissolved in the dog's stomach, tablets are fine. Follow the manufacturers directions for the correct dose.
Dog Glucosamine Condroitin for Dogs Dosage Guidelin
Glucosamine Sulfate is usually prescribed in 20mg/lb or body weight or 1 500-mg. tablet per 25 pounds of body weight. Check with your veterinarian or the manufacturers instructions.
Glucosamine Condroitin For Dogs Product
There are many products available on the market that contain glucosamine, condoitin and other ingredients known to help maintain canine joint health. Common types/brands include:
Prescription Dog Joint Product
Adequan is a prescription product that is glucosamine based. It is injected intramuscularly into the joint to help speed effectiveness. It is used to prevent the wear of joint cartilage. By doing this it helps to prevent contact between the bones that form the joint. The medication starts to work in 2 hours and lasts in the joint for 3 days. Improvement is seen in about 4 weeks.
Over the Counter Dog Glucosamine Products
Nutramax Cosequin™ DS is the most recommended veterinary brand and is the only glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate supplement that is bioavailable (easily absorbed into the body), safe, effective and supported with several clinical veterinary studies. It is available without a prescription.
Osteo-Pet Total Joint Care Formula is another alternative that combines glucosamine chondroitin for dogs and other canine nutraceuticals that can help reduce dog joint inflammation. It is for the dog owner that wants to try all of the latest nutraceuticals all in one product.In addition to the glucosamine condroitin for dogs, added ingredients include:
- Hyaluronic Acid: (helps the connective joint tissue found in knees, elbows and other joints. It is a primary component of the synovial fluid lubricant found in all bendable canine joints.
- Green-lipped mussels: These mussels contain glycosaminoglycans, which helps assist the repair of damaged joint tissues.
- Vitamin C: Helps when the body is stressed, such as during a joint injury or pain. Also provides more antioxidants, a suspected cause of arthritis and other ailments.
- Vitamin E This vitamin helps to reduce levels of prostaglandins and leukotreines. In turn, this can help to reduce dog joint inflammation and pain.
- Collagen: This is a protein found in cartilage and is a primary component in the synoval joints.
- Essential Fatty Acids: Fatty acids help to reduce inflammation that is the cause of pain. It can also improve skin coat condition.
- Boswellia: A relatively new joint anti-inflammatory newly discovered natural anti-inflammatory
Muscle and Joint Support: This is a homeopathic product also formulated to support the muscles and joints. Homeopathic products select their ingredients based on the specific ailment and the ability of the product to strengthen the dogs natural ability to fight disease. Muscle and Joint Support contais the following ingredients:
- Glucosamine sulphate: Glucosamine, as mentioned is a well known ingredient for cartilage support. It has been approved for this purpose in over 70 countries based on the strength of clinical studies. It also helps to reduce age-related stiffness.
- Devil's claw (Harpagophytum procumbens): Scientific research shows that this ingredient can help support cartilage, muscle and joint health. (Chantre P, Cappelaere A, Leblan D, et al. Efficacy and tolerance of Harpagophytum procumbens versus diacerhein in treatment of osteoarthritis. Phytomedicine 2000; 7(3):177-183.)
- Spirulina (Arthrospira platenis)is a sea product that contains chlorophyll. Spirulina has proteins and vitamins (including B12 and folic acid) and carotenoids. The Chinese have used this ingredient for thousands of years to restore energy and the immune system. There is also an emerging body of clinical research (Romay, C., Armesto, J., Remirez, D., Gonzalez, R., Ledon, N., and Garcia, I. "Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of C-phycocyanin from blue- green algae&rdquo. Inflamm.Res 1998; 47(1):36-41. )
- Calc flor (6C): This is a tissue salt that supports cellular elasticity and body tissue elasticity, helping with movement.
- Nat phos (6C): is included to maintain the body's PH balance.
- Nat sulph (6C): another tissue salt that helps to maintain bone and cell health.
- Lecithin: Lecithin is a fatty substance that helps strengthen cell membranes. It is found naturally in food such as liver and eggs.
Condroitin for Dogs
Unlike the combination of glucosamine condroitin for dogs, condroitin alone is not as easily absorbed into a dogs body and therefore may not be as effective as a standalone product. We suggest that after consultation with your Veterinarian if you decide to use condroitin for dogs that you used a blended product like the Cosequin™ mentioned above.
Have a Question for our Editors and Readers about Canine Arthritis or have some helpful advice?
Do you have a story, suggestion or question about Arthritis in Dogs? Share it! Our editors select several questions a week to answer for free. Just provide your dog's breed, age, sex and medical history.
We will do our best to get back to you quickly (depends on how many questions we receive each day). If you do require an immediate response we suggest using this online dog veterinary service that is available now.