What Is Hemp Seed Oil?
Before discussing using hemp oil for your dog’s itchy skin, let’s learn more about the product and what it does.
As the name suggests, hemp seed oil is an extract from Cannabis sativa plant seeds. It has a high content of polyunsaturated fatty acids (70–90%), including:
● Omega-3 (alpha-linolenic) and omega-6 (linoleic) essential fatty acids
● Gamma-linolenic acid
● Vitamins B and D
● Minerals such as calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and zinc
To produce the oil, hemp seeds undergo a cold press process similar to the one used to make olive oil. Manufacturers keep the extract in cool, dark storage before processing and shipping.
As the product comes from seeds, it doesn’t have THC, meaning consumers don’t risk psychoactive effects. According to the American Oil Chemists Society (AOCS), high-quality cold-pressed hemp oil tastes like sunflower seeds and walnuts.
Consider using hemp seed oil for your dog’s irritated skin, as improving dermatitis issues is one of the product’s potential benefits. Other reported advantages of using the extract include:
● Relieving constipation
● Providing cardiovascular health benefits
● Enhancing the immune system
● Improving gastrointestinal conditions
Hemp Seed Oil Benefits for Your Dog's Itchy Skin
Many canines experience skin problems during infections and allergies, requiring dog medicine to treat the condition. As drugs may cause side effects, many pet owners prefer natural options like hemp seed oil.
Can you put hemp oil on your dog’s skin? Yes, the solution’s nutritional content may help provide relief thanks to its:
● Gamma linolenic acid (GLA): It’s common for dogs to lack this essential acid, leading to allergies and dermatological disorders. Hemp oil raises the GLA levels, restoring canines’ coats, skin, and fur to an optimal state.
● Omega-3 and omega-6: Hemp seed oil offers an ideal balance of these fatty acids to manage chronic inflammation, another cause of dermatitis and allergies. These molecules are ingredients in soap and cosmetics and may improve your pet’s fur.
The increase of essential fatty acids in your dog’s skin also has the following effects:
● Relieves itchiness and dryness
● Promotes overall dermatological health
● Lowers the possibility of future disorders
Besides using hemp products for your dog, you may also turn to CBD oil for dogs to treat your pet’s problems. As the products contain little to no THC, there’s no risk of overdose, making them safe for your canine companions.
How to use Hemp Seed Oil on Your Dog's Skin
Apply hemp seed oil topically onto sores, dry spots, lesions, and other patches. Users claim the product soothes itchy skin and provides immediate relief. One of the best ways to use the product is in a spray bottle with a specialized nozzle.
The natural ingredients also work from within, meaning you may feed the oil to your dogs. To administer, spray the product directly into your pet’s mouth or on their food. Many owners suggest using both methods to see what works best.
As hemp oil is safe for your dog, you don’t have to wait until she develops a problem before using it. Administer the solution regularly to allow the natural ingredients to boost your pet’s system, preventing dermatitis.
Should You Use Hemp Seed Oil to Treat Your Dog's Skin Problems?
Although there’s limited research on hemp seed oil and canine dermatitis, anecdotes show the product may provide dogs relief. The product’s vitamins, essential fatty acids, and minerals provide health benefits in humans, making them potentially effective for canines.
When considering hemp seed oil for your dog’s itchy skin, purchase products of the highest quality, as they’re safer for your pet. These solutions are also more potent, meaning they’re more effective and give you value for money.
Always consult your vet before adding any products to your pet’s care regimen.