Guide to Dog Poisonous Plants
Table of Contents
Many types of common house plants are toxic to dogs. It is not a common source of dog poisoning and not all parts of every plant are a problem. Puppies that are still in the chewing stage are more vulnerable than adult dogs who may start to chew plants out of being bored. Even plants that can cause severe symptoms are often bitter to the taste, limiting the amount a dog will consume.
If your dog eats part of a plant, and if you aren't sure if it is a dog poisonous plant, look inside the dog's mouth and see if you notice any soars forming or excessive drooling. Run water into its mouth using a slow stream like from a hose. If you are indoors use a turkey baster with the idea to rinse the mouth and remove any toxins from the plan.
Your next step is to immediately call a veterinarian or emergency care hospital for advice.
If you can't immediately reach a vet call the ASPCA poison control
center. They are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. A fee of $60
may be charged to your credit card. If you think that your pet may have
ingested a potentially poisonous substance, make the call that can make
all the difference: (888) 426-4435. You can also call the
24-hour Pet Poison Helpline at 1-888-426-4435. Identification of the
plant is critical. Have the plant itself, the container, package or
label available when on the phone or in the veterinarian's office.